Saturday, August 28, 2010

For Vagabond and Gorf

So I'm dedicating this season's blogging to my departed friends. I will be directing my comments to them. Now I don't mind if anyone else reads these blogs, but I'm stating up front that if you take offense to anything posted here, bring it up with someone else, because, hey, you're eavesdropping.

And away we go ...

Guys, it's the first weekend of volleyball, and, more specifically, Golden Gopher volleyball. I don't know if either of you is paying attention or even can pay attention, but what the heck. More about that later, probably.

The young women looked very good in the two matches I saw. (I skipped the Stonybrook match. It was 90-something (which makes it 150 in the Pavilion), the State Fair's going on (which makes travel a problem), and two of the three daughters had other plans, leaving me with the third.) I have deliberately dialed back my expectations this year, or maybe it's just because the two of you aren't here and that dampens my enthusiasm, but there's something different about this team. Remember all those seasons where the Gophs talked such a great game about new-found confidence (which departed with the first loss)? These athletes seem naturally confident. It starts with Gibbemeyer and Cowles (more on Hailey later), but Dixon and Wittman are not ordinary freshmen. They know they are good.

That said, it still remains to be seen what happens when they run into this year's version of the 2001 UNI, a team that takes their best shot and comes back at them, a team that digs a ball or twenty.

They haven't, it appears, decided on a setter. Tabberson and Nucci seem to share the same strengths and weaknesses. What I don't know yet is whether one or both of them is a competitor. I suspect Mia is, but we'll see. In the mean time, their first competition appears to be for the starting position. If one of them shows an ability to dig a ball or two, then that could decide things. Or block. Nucci set the win over Marquette, by far the toughest of the three matches.

Wittman hit close to .500 for the weekend and Dixon may have pushed .600. I feel bad for Harms (more on her later too), but she needs to hang in there and wait her chance.

The offense seems to be high outside and backrow, with the occasional 3-1 and slide mixed in -- plus the backset to Dixon. It works, so I'm not complaining, but Gibby and Filho will need to be in the mix against the better teams.

Passing, passing, passing. Who knows?

That's enough for now. I don't want to bore you.

I miss you both.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home