Tuesday, December 6, 2011

And then there were 16 ...

First of all, congratulations to the Concordia Golden Bears for their 5th consecutive DII volleyball championship. A truly amazing feat, one that may not be matched for ... well, two more weeks.

Meanwhile, over at the DI end of the pool, 64 teams jumped in and 16 crawled out. What an absolutely horrible metaphor that was! What the hell is the matter with me??

Anyhow, 64 buses tried to jump the canyon and only 16 landed safely on the other side, with (if my math is correct) 48 busloads of screaming passengers plummeting to a horrific end, complete with fireballs and twisted wreckage.

Oh, never mind.

My ranking of the final 16, in terms of their odds to win it all (taking into account the path each must take to get there):

1) USC - their semi-final, against Hawaii, appears to be their biggest hurdle prior to the final four. I like them in the national semi-final against the Gainesville winner.

2) Texas - they should handle Kentucky while UCLA and PSU will each have their hands full beating the other.

3) Illinois - now I don't think they are the 3rd best team in the country, but I do like their chances in Gainesville (although Florida could easily upend them).

4) Purdue - practically the same rationale as the Illinois pick, although either Minnesota or Iowa State will be a formidable test for the Boilermakers - and Florida State is far from a gimmee.

5) Penn State - I don't think this will be their year, but if they can get past UCLA and Texas (assuming it's Texas), I expect they will be in the championship, where anything could happen.

6) Hawaii - they have to beat USC, of course, but if they do ...

7) Iowa State - can't see them winning it all, but final four is doable.

8) Minnesota - ditto, just less so. The Gophers' inconsistency is not going away. But there is that home court advantage.

9) UCLA - not sold on the Bruins and they have a brutal road to win it all.

10) Florida - a true dark horse, but this is not an impossibility. If the Gators make good use of their own home court advantage, they have the experience to win it all.

11) Pepperdine - odds are really starting to get long from this point on. I'm not sure I even like the Waves chances against Kansas State. But there is talent on this team, no doubt about that, and they could show everyone how underrated the West Coast has been this entire season.

12) Florida State - not going to happen, but I'm looking forward to seeing the team play again.

13) Kansas State - this is a hot team, but that won't be enough.

14) Kentucky - I like this team, but I hate their chances in the bracket they are in.

15) Ohio State - an upset of the Illini is not unthinkable and the final would then be winnable, but that's as far as I can see the Buckeyes going.

16) Michigan - great win over Stanford, but I don't see them beating Florida.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home