Monday, October 17, 2011

The week in review

The latest poll will be out shortly. The only movement in the top ten figures to be with Udub. Where will they be placed? 5? 6? 7?

This is my top ten, again, and this time it's my current top ten. This list and a dollar will get you a McDouble, but here it is anyhow.

#1 Illinois -- wins at home over the Michigans (in 5 with MSU) take the nation's last undefeated team to 19-0. And now they play the red hot Huskers in Lincoln on Wednesday for the undisputed Big 10 lead.

#2 USC -- I've moved the Trojans above the Golden Bears due to the fact they are on top of the Pac 12. It does appear, however, that this conference title is up for grabs.

#3 Cal -- nice win over Washington, in a very close match, albeit 3-1.

#4 Nebraska -- I was tempted to move them as high as #1, but the Illini's win at PSU is hard to ignore. #4 is probably too low, however. But, you know me, I'm a Pac 12 shill.

#5 Hawaii -- I'm catching grief for this ranking, from people I respect. I have dropped the Wahine from #3 to here over the past two weeks and I could see them sliding a couple of more spots with some impressive wins from teams below them, but I do believe this team is underranked.

#6 UCLA -- this team, for instance, having beaten UH on the island, could move up. But there are still those losses to UA and Pep to consider. Tough one. The Bruins, like the Trojans, beat Oregon 3-1 and OSU 3-0 this past week, in LA.

#7 Stanford -- impressive win over UW (3-0). The Cardinal may be hitting its stride -- or whatever a color hits when its going well. Its maximum hue?

#8 Penn State -- knock them all you want, but they just went to West Lafayette and dispatched a good Purdue club in 4. I was impressed -- and that Big 10 title is still not out of their reach.

#9 Florida -- the Gators move back into the Top Ten, as Purdue falls to #11. For me.

#10 Washington -- Huskies proved something by playing Cal tough, then proved something else by being swept by the Cardinal. Still a mystery team. And by "mystery team," I mean they could be better than #10. Ross with a very good weekend (against Cal especially); Vansant struggled.

On the old cusp? #11 Purdue, #12 UNI, #13 Texas, #14 ISU, #15 Minnesota. I see a drop from #16 on down -- waiting for one or two of those teams to shift into a higher gear, or whatever it is a Wave, Sooner, Duck, Seminole, Flyer, Volunteer, etc. shifts into. A maximum hue?

What's the AVCA say?

1. Illinois
2. California
3. Southern California
4. Nebraska
5. Stanford
6. UCLA
7. Washington
8. Hawai'i
9. Penn State
10. Texas

Washington falls from 2 to 7. Hmmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home