Saturday, December 13, 2008

Huskers do (Huskies don't)

So, over 10 hours after they started, the last match has ended with Nebraska coming back after losing the first two games, and from 3-9 in the 5th, to win 15-13 (after a 26-24 4th game). I won't slip into hyperbole about this match or this team. In a lot of ways, it was an extremely sloppily played match, and the Nebraska squad is not exactly David dealing with a series of steroid-enhanced Goliaths; there is talent there. But if ever a team consistently overachieved for an entire season, it would be this one. And if you've ever gone looking for drama worthy of Broadway, this would have been it.

I'm tired, but there are a couple of observations I'd like to make:

*I have empathy for UW. This was an extremely difficult match for them to lose. And I especially have empathy for the poor passers facing Jordan Larson's jumpserve at 13-14 in the 5th. I was not at all surprised the serve was untouched.

*Four years ago, I had the privilege of watching the first matches played by Jordan Larson, Christa Harmotto, Nicole Fawcett, Cynthia Barboza and Foluke Akinradewo. This was at the NACWAA in Omaha. Those five players return to the same city and the same venue to conclude their careers this week. It is more than fitting, especially since the crowds will be huge, something they all deserve.

*I'm going to take a pass on commenting on the Penn State-Nebraska animosity for now, other than to point out that it just adds to the flavor of this year's championships.

*I will not underestimate this Husker team. I know they have no chance against Penn State, and yet I know I don't really know that anymore.

It's been a fun day. Even if I didn't get any of Foucault's Pendulum read and it's due on Tuesday (I've renewed it two times already). Who recommended that thing to me anyhow?

It was nice to see the joy Nebraska's players were experiencing during and after their comeback. It was not so nice to see the tension gripping UW, but that's sports, I guess. I would hope they can take some solace in the fact they were a part of something really special, and not in a negative way. It was, even in all its sloppiness, a great match.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home