Thursday, June 18, 2009

The off-season update concluded

I slogged through the rest of early 2009 posts and this is what I have for you:

Destinee Hooker's getting married (maybe the happy nuptials have already taken place). OverandUnder lost patience with the ensuing puns. It happens. I myself have occasionally opened Pundora's Box, with results of which I am not the least proud.

Nikki Allen fainted on Amazing Race. Nice to see a volleyball player representing the sport with distinction on national TV. I’m afraid I only watched bits and pieces of the season, and all of it after this episode. Was she also the contestant who came close to a nervous breakdown in the pool, or was that her partner?

Salima Rockwell has jumped ship, leaving the luxury liner at Penn State for the ... well, the luxury liner at Texas. Salima, then Davidson, was setting at Penn State when I first started to closely follow the college game. This fact is neither here nor there, but it is a fact. I wonder if she’s invited to Destinee’s wedding?

Crocs' finances have apparently gone the way of plastic purple shoe manufacturers everywhere, and some wondered how this would affect the AVP, since Crocs was a major sponsor. I don’t have the answer to this question, basically because I really don’t care about the AVP. Did it fold?

Mike Whitmarsh, speaking of the AVP but something I do care about, took his own life this past spring. This is terribly sad, of course. I enjoyed watching him play with Mike Dodd, back when the AVP was much more interesting.

Two more Final Four locations were picked: 2010's will be in Kansas City and 2012's will be in Louisville. For some reason, 2011's was already known. I have, of course, forgotten where it is, however. San Antonio again? Beats me.

Various post-season banquets were detailed. That was just about as exciting as you’d think it would be.

Lindsey Berg was named USA Volleyball’s POY. Woo-hoo! I swear I heard an advertisement on local radio (KFAN) for some event featuring Lindsey and Larry Fitzgerald (Junior, I assume). If I heard correctly, how cool is that? If I heard incorrectly, never mind.

tenniscraze started a thread entitled "The Greatness of Erin Waller." Yes, he did. I confess I did not read any of it, as enticing as that title is.


That was about it. I hope you feel caught up. I know I don’t.

I, for one, think the 2009 season cannot arrive too quickly.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home