Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ask (R)uffda!

Ask (R)uffda!

I was told John Cook explained the 5-1 and 6-2 on a recent CSTV broadcast, but I missed it. (I was organizing my socks.) Can you give me a brief summary of these offensive systems?

Brief? That’s like asking Einstein to give a brief summary of his Theory of Relativity! This is complex stuff! Some of the best minds in the sport have spent years developing and perfecting these systems and have written volumes on the topic! For me to summarize their work would not not only be an act of supreme arrogance, it would be insulting to those distinguished trailblazers, some of whom gave their lives in pursuit of the rotational discourse!

That said, the 5-1 is run by a team whose setter rotates through the front row, meaning she only has two available front row hitters when she herself is in the front row. The 6-2 is run by a team with two setters positioned opposite each other in the team rotation, each of whom only set when in the back row. This means each setter always has three front row hitters available, which is usually two more than she needs.

You didn’t ask, but there is also the Hinkle-Farbuckle System conceived by Meghan Hinkle-Farbuckle, who, at the time, was a junior at Spiro Agnew High School in Pocomoke City, Maryland. Basically, it involved Hinkle-Farbuckle spiking any ball that came near her in the general direction of her head coach, with whom she had “issues.” This system is rarely employed.

I know this is off-topic, but could you give me a brief summary of Einstein’s Theory of Relativity? I’d ask Einstein, but I’m told he’s dead.

Well, sure. Simply put, it states that the odds of one of your cousins being a transcendent pain in the keyster is directly proportional to the likelihood of that cousin coming for an extended visit. See also the concept of “Black Hole.”

Can you tell me why servers who miss their serve are tapping themselves on the chest? At first I thought they were saying “My bad,” but then whose bad would it be if it weren’t their bad?

Whose bad is it? Why it’s your bad for not lending these poor servers the fan support they so obviously need. If you aren’t willing to step up and take the blame for their failures, you are not entitled to revel in their success. There’s way too much revelling in our society anyhow, if you ask me.

Why do people bother to ask you questions? You never give answers that are respectful, and they are frequently incorrect. I wouldn’t even be asking this question if I weren’t conveying a none-too-subtle statement of utter contempt in the process. Bozo.

Well, MY BAD I say, tapping my chest while I type (no easy task). I had no idea I was being disrespectful to my readership. Believe me, my intent was to focus the totality of my disrespect solely on YOU.

And, by the way, was it 1% or 2% you wanted me to pick up on the way home from work, dearest?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home