Sunday, October 21, 2007

Metagophersis II

Saturday night's dreams were again of the anxious variety, but what could be worse than turning into a monstrous verminous bug, as was my fate last weekend? I'll tell you what's worse: waking up with another monstrous verminous bug lying beside you.

"Mrs. (R)?" I whispered. "Is that you?"

"Not exactly," was the reply. "It's me. Luke."

This qualifies as a new low, as does the Gophers current five match losing streak. The kids somehow managed only four kills in their opening game against Northwestern, and went on to lose 17-15 in the 5th. They topped that the next night in East Lansing, losing 30-28, 35-33, 30-22, with the Spartans going all Ted Williams on them, hitting .400 for the match.

This is when a fan's loyalty meets its sternest test. The gale force winds shake and bend the tree you planted long ago in their honor. Even the nut-slinging squirrels have taken shelter elsewhere. But you know what? The next day, that tree is still there. And there will be matches this coming weekend. Penn State -- thanks a lot, God -- and The Ohio State. We will be there.

Firm and strong, united are we. Rah, rah, rah for ski-u-mah. Cheer for the U of M.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A!

Minnesota!

Minnesota!

Yaaaaaaaaaay, Gophers!

Now, if you'll pardon me. I need to do something about this dog and find out where my wife went.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home